Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday Morning Mumbles: My Interior Design Obsession


I am by no means an Interior Designer, however recently, that title has been sounding more and more appealing.


 It all started when I was shopping for homes in LA (still in progress). I started imagining what I could do with the blank canvas of an empty room. From the rugs to the light fixtures, I was envisioning a complete home full of character and elegance. Often I would halt my house hunt in order to go online and look at furniture (a bit premature, but thats okay).

Living Room
(Indigo, Yellow, Aubergine)
Growing up I was always into decorations and artsy things so I guess it only makes sense that I had some interest in the art of interior design. Some people would call me a perfectionist and I would have to agree. At times being a perfectionist is a blessing and other times it is anything but. 

As a student my backpack, binders, and projects were nothing but neat and organized. I always went way above on projects, which, when I think about it now makes me feel embarrassed, but it wasn’t a bad thing. I always worked hard and was most excited when classes assigned projects that would allow me to harness my creativity into a design of something new. One time I made a kimono for a history project. Another time, a children’s book and even a power point presentation on how Disney’s Snow White is riddled with Freudian imagery. No matter the project I always loved doing them. (One year at High School I wrote a poem about making s’mores and the class had to follow along and make s’mores... it sounds ridiculous now that I say it, but we had to act out a poem so I decided making S’mores would be the most delightful for the class and myself)

Anyways, I seem to have wandered away from my train of thought (per usual) and totally escaped the topic of Interior Design. I know I want to work in the entertainment business, but I have not a clue as to what exactly it is that I want to do within that industry. I enjoy a lot of things like sound editing, cinematography, wardrobe, and even set design. So in an effort to help myself figure out my true passion, I decided to buy a few Interior Design magazines. I read through all three of them the day I bought them. I became obsessed.
Bedroom
(Indigo, Gold, White)

I started to go online and look at color schemes and furniture. I fell in love with tufted furniture, especially beds and couches. I started drawing up diagrams of rooms and tracing blueprints of a room's possible layout. Slowly but surly I was going design crazy. 

Along the way I went to one of my FAVORITE furniture sites, ZGallerie, and decided to make a few rough concept images of what my bedroom, living room, and dinning room would look like if I had an unlimited budget (which I sadly do not, but that’s okay) and a home of my own. Throughout this post I have placed some of the snapshots of what I came up with for the designs of the rooms. Everything in the photos are on ZGallerie's site except for the chandelier and the bed frame in the Bedroom Photo.

After I finished my hour long home designing on ZGallerie I decided that I really loved Interior Design, even if I am no good at it yet. I re-read the interior design magazines and even bought a huge book from Barnes & Noble all about becoming an interior designer. It impressed me and made me feel really excited to try new things. 

I want to try my hand at interior design by starting with my room at home. On my budget of zero dollars and zero zero cents, this should be fun. I'm actually very excited to completely clean out my room and update it with the sophistication and glamour that I'm searching for. I believe a room should be an expression of yourself. So that way when people walk into my home they should say, 'Yup, that's Kirsten!" (unlike my room now, haha) 

As of right now I have no plans to start a career in interior design, however I do love the art. I'm interested in studying and taking classes in interior design because I am sure that it's a lot harder then it looks. 

If you have any suggestions for good Interior Design reads, or designers, then please let me know in the comment section below. I am always looking for a good read and especially about design. 

Also, if you would like to follow my obsession you can follow me on Pinterest and take a look at my Interior Design, Apartment Ideas, and Dream Home board, along with my DIY, Organization, and more boards. I am a feverishly frequent pinner. haha. 

Well, I hope you enjoyed this post. If you have any questions comments or concerns go ahead and place them in the comment section below. I will talk to you soon...Wednesday to be exact. ;)

Love Always, 
Kirsten Nicole Huxtable

No comments:

Post a Comment