Monday, May 12, 2014

Monday Morning Mumbles: Sisterhood - AOll


The word sisterhood is something I never really got the chance to experience growing up. I had only my older brother, and we rarely played Barbies or dress up together. (Although he always seemed to win at Pretty Pretty Princess.... hmmm?)

My brother Garrett and I (probably around the ages of 10 and 8)

I started University in 2011 after graduating High School and discovered that I was more of an introvert than I had previously expected. I was not shy by any means, but I often skipped the stereotypical college parties and hangouts just to sit in my room and watch the entire 10 seasons of FRIENDS for the one millionth time. I enjoy people, but I’ve always found myself needing my alone time, and sometimes that equals out to more then the time I like to spend out and about.

Living in a dorm (which was more like an apartment) with six girls was... lets just say a handful. I loved each and every one of my roommates so much. There was very few arguments in our house compared to the other girl dorms around us. I finally felt like I had sisters in my life. More then just friends these girls were there in my life 24/7 and I would not take a single second of that year back. We grew to learn so much about each other and ourselves during that first year at University. Between sleepovers in the living room, late night breakfast with Oreo pancakes, and doing each other’s hair and makeup, those five girls were the closest thing I had to sisters. Each one of us were very different and that’s what made that first year at college probably the best year of my life.

Since I failed to find a good photograph of all my Freshman roommates, here is a photo from Freshman year of our house cat Taboo sleeping on my lap... and yes, his name is Taboo for a reason.

Starting my second year at school I lived with four new women and my best friend/roommate from the year prior. This house was very different from the first year at school. We had a two story, four bedroom, four bath dorm (aka: townhouse) that roomed six girls. Aimee, one of my roommates from freshman year, and my best friend, roomed with me again. The other four girls were new to me. I became good friends with two of the other girls but some were distant. My second year at University did not contain the sisterhood that was established my freshman year. Other then my best friend Aimee and one other roommate, the house was anything but connected. 

Now is the part where I start to explain why this is called "Sisterhood - AOII".


I grew up thinking that sorority life was just a bunch of drunk girls in skimpy clothes going so wild they ended up passed out in a front yard. But being closed minded and opinionated is not the right way to go about life. Freshman year taught me to open my mind to new ideas and possibilities. I had become friends with so many different people, some that I would have never seen coming. So, second year, I decided to dropped all stereotypes I'd heard, seen, or read about. Everything was new and that was exciting.

One night my best friend Aimee dragged me to a sorority information night. The purpose of that first meeting was to introduce the sororities to all the girls thinking of attending recruitment. I was absolutely dreading it. And that is an understatement. However I loved my best friend and decided to stick it out for her. As each sorority provided a slide show of information about their goals, philanthropies, history, and sisterhood, I started to understand. Each and every sorority had its own background and every girl within that chapter had another. I realized that being a part of a sorority/Greek life did not mean that you were succumbing to a pre-determined lifestyle, rather; it meant that you were adding your life to a mosaic of sisterhood. Each tile and frame different in it's own way. A mosaic - separate unique, together complete.

AOII - Xi Rho Chapter (2014)

Needless to say, by the end of the informational meeting, I was hooked. I loved it and decided to go back to experience recruitment and join a sorority. Two weeks later I was a founding member of Alpha Omicron Pi's Xi Rho Chapter. I was unsure at first if this was the right fit for me, but quickly I fell in love. I fell in love with the girls, the rituals, and the sisterhood. I fell in love with AOII the way you fall asleep, slowly, then all at once. (Yes I stole that line from TFIOS, but it is a perfect description of how it happened.)

*Note: If you don't feel head-over-heels in love from first sight/meeting/etc., don't worry. Love grows and expands. In time you will know if something is forever.

During an overnight camping trip that all of the new members took, I knew I had found my home. The trip started out with 86 sorority girls at a camp site, in the pouring rain, during the middle of the night... yes it does sound like the start to a bad horror film... anyways... I experienced something I never felt possible. I entered that night feeling separate and awkward, I left the next morning with some amazing friends, good stories, camp songs, ritual songs, and more than that, sisters. That's all it took. One night.

The Xi Rho Chapter Charter signed by all the founding sisters. Props if you can spot my signature. *Hint: It's in alphabetical order.

Never before had I been so happy to have a stereotype broken. Those ladies are more then just friends, they are my sisters. As of now, I have 120+ sisters. During the following months there were The Vampire Diaries viewing nights, dinners, socials, dances, sleepovers and more.

Growing up without a single girl in my family, neighborhood, etc. it was hard for me to bond with girls. As a kid my best friends were a lot of the times guys. Then as I grew up and made more friends in school I realized the strength and bond of sisterhood. I don’t need a birth certificate to prove a sister. To me a sister is anyone willing to put your needs before theirs. Sisterhood is all about loving each other unconditionally, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I am so proud of each and every one of my sisters. The bond that was built can never be broken. 

Now-a-days I meet women from different sororities all the time. I  noticed that sisterhood is not defined by the letters on your sweatshirt. Some of the most amazing people and sisters I know are from a different sorority then I or not even Greek affiliated. That’s what makes life exciting. Meeting new people with a common interest that you can grow and connect with. 

Bid Day (2012)

If you are an introvert, scared of Greek Life or scared of people in general, then I challenge you to step outside of your comfort zone. You will not regret it, I promise you that. I guess to end this forever rambling blog I shall leave you with this; let go of stereotypes (all of them), open your mind, try new things, step outside of your comfort zone, and don’t take a single day for granted. 

To all of my sisters out there
I love you!




Love Always,
Kirsten Nicole Huxtable

No comments:

Post a Comment